Thursday, November 02, 2006

Saying good-bye to the Carvers



Darrel and Lee Carver joined Asas de Socorro 6 years ago after retiring from CitiBank. They have traveled the whole world and have lived in more countries than I can remember. They have been working with our flight base in Manaus, flying the Caravan. Darrel was a Navy pilot before working in banking and never lost his love for planes and flying. They heard about Asas de Socorro when they lived in Brazil some years ago and the Lord lead him to set aside some money in a fund that he could some day use to buy an airplane for Asas. He was thinking a small airplane, but when the time came to withdrawal the money from the fund, God had blessed it to the point that he could buy a brand-new Caravan! The whole mission has been blessed with their generosity and their life-example. The are now heading back to Texas in order to take care of Darrel's aging parents who are needing their support now. It is hard to see such a wonderful couple leave, but we are so thankful for the time they gave to Asas. They will continue to support Asas as they will be representing the mission in the US. The pictures are from the farewell ceremony we had here on Wednesday when they were presented with this model of the Caravan...complete with paddles and a stand made of Brazil wood. How that is going to get in a suitcase and arrive in one piece is another issue......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristin, I was delighted to see the pictures and read about the farewell to the Carvers. I knew they were leaving, and this filled in the details. What an appropriate "lembranca" the little plane is - they'll find a way to take it with them. Love, Mom VB

Anonymous said...

I just found this while looking for a picture of my parents on the internet. This is a great one!!

Mom is celebrating her 64th birthday on the 17th and am linking this post to my "Happy Birthday" blog so that she can find you easily. :)

My parents are an inspiration and I have never met a more faith-based couple. They are my rock, my role models, my strength, and being their daughter is an honor I will never fully be capable of expressing.

They truly are as amazing as they seem. Thank you for loving them while they were so far away from us and for valuing them. Your respect for their calling and service blesses my heart.

Beijos a tudos.
Kelly